Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Sept. 18, 2012 email from MTC


So here goes a bunch of random thoughts in 30 minutes. Pacenta. (Sorry) 

First off, thank you so much for the package I ate some of it for breakfast this morning. Also thank you everyone who has written me. :) It is always such a pleasant surprise.  

Second off, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU to everyone who has helped me become who I am. (If you are reading this, then you are most likely included in that. :) ) Thank you to my parents, my family, my friends, ward members, teachers, everyone.  I just was overwhelmed with gratitude the other night for the impact that all the people in my life have had on me. Thank you mom for teaching me, "You can do hard things." And dad thank you for Fall semester of 2010 for a phone call that put me in place and taught me that "stressing excessively doesn’t improve the outcome or get anything accomplished".  I hear your voices in my head. :) And I think often of all the examples I have seen of different Christ-like attributes in all the people I have been around. 

Third, I know God answers prayers. Of course I have known this for awhile now for many different reasons, but it has been reiterated to me many times just in this week. (If you don't yet know for yourself, try praying for patience or humility... He seems to answer those prayers especially quickly. haha jk... sort of. :) ) I had a great experience with prayer this week that really helped me get through a rough moment. 

As I laid down in bed one night I thought of a general conference talk in which the speaker said sometimes we feel like saying to God, "Hope you know, we had a hard time." It was a good talk and I felt like saying that one night but then I realized that in reality what I had had a hard time with that day was relatively easy because I can honestly say I felt the support of the Spirit and Christ with me every step of the way! It is so wonderful to be able to turn to Him with anything I know that I will receive help. 

Our district has up-ed our language goal to 50 words and 20 phrases a day. No, I am not awesome enough to accomplish this yet but I think I will get there someday. It is really starting to freak me out how little time I have left here! (yea, yea laugh it up. I know I still have a month and a half. :D ) We do not speak all Tagalog (to answer dad's question) even though we should. We definitely speak Taglish :) But we are going to step it up starting today because the older Tagalog districts all left on Monday and we get a new district tomorrow!! So yes, we are the oldest Tagalog speakers now which is sad and crazy but we are excited to be as good to the newcomers as our older district was to us. (although, there was a bigger time gap between us and them so that helped with their SYLing. Oh well.)

Congratulations to Tyler on his touchdown. (Even though that is old news by now) Please send me Josh's Idaho address so that I can send him a letter I wrote. I know I've said it a lot but make sure Josh dearelder’s me about his call. He should open it Thurs or Friday if they make his call right?  It’s so hard when you can't communicate except for once a week! :)  Dad we do have pizza once a week, but believe it or not I don't know which night. We also have soda but I have yet to drink any while here. Booyah for me! I also have not had a single doughnut while here but I eat plenty of other desserts so I can't brag about that too much. :)

My time is ticking down but I don't know what else to say. How are you all doing? Anything new or exciting happening?  Is Jake managing to keep 80% attendance in seminary?

Things here have pretty much the same schedule everyday, except tues and sundays. We got to hear from Sheri Dew on Sunday. It was a great talk about women's roles in the church. I'm still having a great time. Wishing I could learn the language faster. Loving kickball and the sunshine. My companion and I do our personal study outside usually at a table next to trees and flowers. It is so nice. Oh, the trio (three elder companionship) from our district were called as the new zone leaders. We were all excited for them and saw it coming a mile away. :) Which reminds me... I just wanted to make a little shout out to all the 19 year old guys who come out and do this. It is totally worth it and it is a calling from God, but it is not easy and I admire them for it. At 21 it's hard for me and I was way more ready than I would’ve been at 19. Anyway. I love you all and miss you so much! Thanks for that quote dad... it is so true!
 
LOVE YOU ALL!!
Sister Hamm

 

No comments:

Post a Comment